We completed this 300 Seconds exercise several month ago. Today I’d like to revisit it with a Back-to-School twist.
If you have just 5 minutes to devote to marketing today, reach out to three friends and ask them to help with some market research.
- Ask the first friend to call the bookstore for specifics about teacher discounts.
- Ask the second friend to call in search of information on how to order a classroom set.
- Ask the third friend to call with a complaint about searching for a title on a school reading list.
Ask each friend to report back on the following:
- How many times did the phone ring?
- Did the employee have a pleasant demeanor?
- Were they helpful?
- Did they respond to your questions in a knowledgeable manner?
- Did they have to put you on hold to ask somebody else?
- Did they empathize with you?
- Did they have the authority to solve your problem, quickly and to your satisfaction?
You can come up with questions more specific to the services offered by your store. This short exercise provides a good opportunity for you to learn what it feels like to be on the other side of the counter or phone line.