Pre-selling: Jo Nesbo
Next Tuesday, Cockroaches by Jo Nesbo will be released as a paperback original in the United States, allowing fans the opportunity to finally own the entire series in English.
Here’s a plan to pre-sell to his fans… beginning with the easiest and continuing with the more time consuming (read: most rewarding).
1. Tweet it. “At last. #JoNesbo THE COCKROACHES arrives Tuesday in English.”
2. Post to Facebook with his photo. “Jo Nesbo fans! With the paperback original release of Nesbo’s THE COCKROACHES this Tuesday, the complete set will finally be available in English! (We’ve been told the cockroaches will be the last remaining life on the planet. Who knew it would take so long to get here.)”
3. Make a quick display. Line up the books in order with spines out, and either leave a space between THE BAT and THE REDBREAST, or wrap a book in brown or black paper to place there. This is meant to be a conversation starter by the register. Have a take-away flyer or bookmark with the complete list of the series available.
4. Compile a list of Jo Nesbo customers from your POS database. If it’s short enough, call and ask if they’d like for you to hold the final book in the series released in English so they can have a complete set. If the list is longer, create an e-mail with the same information with a “save one for me” or “buy” button leading back to your commerce page.
5. Include information about other Nesbo books and projects, like his plans to write a crime noir version of Macbeth.
Photo credit: Niklas R. Lello