They start ’em young at R.J. Julia Booksellers in Madison, CT.
Young poets, that is.
The bookstore is celebrating National Poetry Month by hosting its Annual Poetry Slam, and kids from 1st through 6th grade are eligible to enter.
“The Poetry Slam has always been a well received event for us over the past 6 years,” says Kathy Sharp, Children’s & Young Adult Lead Bookseller for the store. “Not only do the kids enjoy writing and reading their poems but the parents (and grandparents, and other relatives) love coming to the event and watching their kids read their poems out loud.”
Here’s how it works:
Entrants are divided into three groups: Grades 1/2, Grades 3/4, Grades 5/6. Participants are given submission procedures (listed below), and judging is conducted by the kids team at the bookstore.
The judges choose one winner and two runners-up from each grade group, who receive R.J. Julia Gift Cards and the opportunity to read their poems at the Poetry Slam.
“We receive many, many submissions which makes it very hard to choose the winners!” says Sharp.
- Entrants must send in three hard copies of the poem, and each copy must include name, address, phone number, grade level and age.
- Poems can either be mailed or dropped off at the store. (R.J. Julia Booksellers, 768 Boston Post Road, Madison, CT, 06443.) Only hard copies will be accepted; no emails.
- You may submit as a class or encourage students to enter individually. Classroom submissions: please include individual student’s information for each poem.
- There are no restrictions on topic or length and poems do not have to rhyme.
Submissions WILL NOT be returned.
- Please do not staple submissions together.
- The last date for submission is Thursday, April 30th (no exceptions).
- Honorees and winners will be notified by Friday, May 8th.
**Submissions not meeting all of these guidelines will not be considered; no exceptions.