Last year, the Postal Regulatory Commission approved a proposal by the United States Postal Service to increase rates. On Sunday, January 21, 2018, be prepared for these changes:
- First Class Mail Letters (1 oz.) rates will increase from $0.49 to $0.50. Each additional ounce will cost $0.21.
- The discounted “Metered Mail” category for First Class Mail Letters (1 oz.), which includes online postage providers and postage meters, will increase from $0.46 to $0.47. Each additional ounce will cost $0.21.
- First Class Mail Flats (1 oz.) will increase from $0.98 to $1.00. Each additional ounce will cost $0.21.
- Postcard rates will increase one cent to $0.35.
- Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail, First Class Package Service, and Media Mail will all see an average rate increase of 3.9%. Media Mail rates will start at $2.66 (previously $2.63) and Library Mail will start at $2.53 (previously $2.50).
If you need to make any changes to the shipping component of your eCommerce site, you should plan on performing an update on Saturday evening, January 20. And if you’re a Forever® Stamp kind of epistolarian, you have about a week to stock up.