I recently asked in a Quick & Dirty Survey: Do you offer employee discounts and other perks?
This one was difficult to tabulate because there are many mitigating factors. Here are the main results for the employee discount questions, mitigating factors are listed parenthetically, and additional perks are bulleted below.
10% of respondents offer books to employees at cost.
13% of respondents offer a 40% discount to employees (a few bookstores exclude magazines from this discount, offering them at a 15% – 20% discount instead.)
21% of respondents offer a 35% discount (one bookstore knocks that down to 30% if purchased with a credit card instead of check/cash.)
36% of respondents offer a 30% discount to employees.
2% of respondents offer a 25% discount.
18% of respondents offer a 20% discount (one bookstore offers employees a cost+10% purchase once a quarter in addition to the 20% discount.)
Additional perks include:
- If something is being sent back, option to purchase at my cost. EXTREMELY flexible scheduling to compensate for low pay, 🙁 .
- We also give them small amount gift cards to local coffee shop when they get any kind of blurb used by a publisher.
- All the ARCs they can carry.
- Comp tickets.
- Free coffee and espresso drinks when they’re working. (This was mentioned more than once.)
- The opportunity to order at cost from gift companies.
- Random gift cards.
- Coffee and pastries. And wine.
- 50% off used books. (This was mentioned more than once.)
- The opportunity to work for excellent bosses.
- Free syrup.